Blue Hill Falls, Maine
Plantation #5 was formally "settled" as Township #5, with a landfall on Mill Island in April 1762 by two men - John Roundy & Joseph Wood. They were part of a separate group petitioning for settlement in the general area. They were not part of the Haverhill petition in January 1762. They made camp on the island for the summer and returned to Beverly to sort their situation out.
Names for the Township have included Andover, Head of the Bay (the Village area) & New Port (or Newport), before Blue Hill was used for incorporation in 1789.
Today's Blue Hill Falls is a neighborhood once referenced as the Tide Mill district. It is home to Blue Hill's oldest man-made structure in continuous use since 1765 - The Mill Pond Dam - and it was the new settlement's main center for over 25 years.
Names for the Township have included Andover, Head of the Bay (the Village area) & New Port (or Newport), before Blue Hill was used for incorporation in 1789.
Today's Blue Hill Falls is a neighborhood once referenced as the Tide Mill district. It is home to Blue Hill's oldest man-made structure in continuous use since 1765 - The Mill Pond Dam - and it was the new settlement's main center for over 25 years.